We Could Never Be Friends / Tony Romeo

Still a few days left, but on December 25 I will be with my family. 

Tony Romeo was born on the Christmas Day, 85 years ago. We, David Cassidy's fans, know the lyrics of his songs by heart..

'When the chains around me no longer ground me..and all at once I met you and you stop me in my tracks..I may stumble I may fall..Yes love, you know I did before..Since you've been away, oh, yes, I am uptight..I only called to let you know I haven't seen you and I miss you so..but be certain not to stray he will steal your heart away..I don't know how to deal it..walked her to the station and kissed away the tears...may all your days be happy with joy that never ends...we reached the top of the world together..rock me to sleep in your arms..to make me as happy as I ever been..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtAv3gY8iLo

Tony Romeo..a great songwriter the world has forgotten. In the 60s he even recorded an album, with his brother, Frank and Cassandra Morgan who later was a cast member of the original Broadway production of Hair. I have a kind of obsession with Tony, so I gather every info. Tony Romeo wasn't a good singer, but he was a great songwriter. His songs were sung by The Cowsills, Lou Christie, The Seekers, The Everly Brothers, Richard Harris. He worked as a music producer. He created commercial jingles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFCpbdtwQac

Being Together, it was also the title of my first ever entry, published 3 years ago, in December 2020. Actually my blog is called 'David Cassidy Being Together'. 

We fans being together, writing about David. Btw the title of that first entry caused some confusion, because a lot of people thought that the blog was written by someone who knew David Cassidy very well, and very personally. I couldn't believe my eyes watching the number of views..

In David Cassidy, Tony Romeo found a great interpreter and performer of his love songs, and during those 3 years I have written about all of them, except 'We Could Never Be Friends', from the first David's solo album, 'Cherish'. And I really like it, even more. 

If someone doesn't know English, they might think it's a very cheerful song...Sure he wants to leave  town, pretends that it's just a problem of wasting his time, his money..but if we read the lyrics carefully..I don't think that 21 year-old DC understood exactly what the song was about. It's something we learn later in life. When true love ends, there is no way back, and we could never be friends..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77FUt6N-Q-4

Tony Romeo  December 25,1938 - June 23, 1995


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'