David Cassidy. 1976. Again

We are very fortunate and lucky, having those wonderful videos from 1976. David Cassidy on European (and one Canadian) TV shows  singing some songs he never performed in later years. As he completely removed them from his memory. They belonged to the past he wanted to forget about. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsuhi6UnX-k

I've written about the year 1976 many times. It was David Cassidy's 'annus horribilis', right from the start. On January 17, 1976, Barry Manilow's cover of  'I Write the Songs' became number 1 hit on Billboard Hot 100, later got Grammy Award for Song Of the Year. Sal Mineo was killed on February 12. That was a huge blow for David. He still was trying, he recorded his last album for RCA, and tried in vain to promote his music, in the USA and in Europe.
David, " I blotted out reality by immersing myself deeper in drugs, alcohol and music."

He looked gorgeous of course, but sometimes also like someone on the way down.


Instead his younger brother was on his way up, on the way to stardom. David always said he wasn't in competition with Shaun, or anyone else..but..

A few days ago I got on Google alerts an article about 'All The President's Men' film. Released on April 7, 1976. 
At first I had no idea why, it was because The Partridge Family was mentioned in connection with ..Meredith Baxter. Yes, Meredith Baxter was on 'All The President's Men'. I've had no idea about it. I watched this film many years ago and had eyes only for Robert Redford.  And not only Meredith had a role in this very important film. John McMartin too. The same John McMartin who played DC character's, Michael Ambrose's father on 'Marcus Welby' and Shirley's date on the TPF's episode, 'When Mother Gets Married"..


It must have been so hard for DC, knowing that as a former teen idol he had no chance for such roles. No one remembered that once David Cassidy was a very promising, dramatic actor.

"I regretted having ever climbed abroad The Partridge Family bus. Sure, I'd become a star. But I was also trapped." (David Cassidy: Could It Be Forever?, 2007, p.289)







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'