"It's Love That Counts"

First the song about love. This is the entry number 746 (lol), but I've never written about  'Come On Love'. Probably I haven't liked it much, but last year while in Cardiff I bought myself 'Crossword Puzzle', and I listen to this album quite often.  I haven't changed my mind about 'Let Your Love Go' (it's awful), but I really enjoy listening to 'Come On Love'. Charming and uplifting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHeOVy8tc7g

I've been searching today for some articles about David in Australia and New Zealand in 1974, and while browsing magazines on the website, I've found  an article called 'It's Love That Counts', Record & Radio Mirror, March 23, 1974, btw a copy costed 7p. The scan of this particular article is not very good, but it's worth reading. The result of The David Cassidy Superfan Contest. 

It was a series, started with David Cassidy Contest, later was Slade Superfan Contest, next Gary Glitter, David Bowie, Marc Bolan, the Sweet, Donny Osmond and Rod Stewart. The series brought "a fantastic amount of mail", and the jury consisted of Brian Connolly of Sweet, Dave Mount of Mud and Marty Kristian of the New Seekers (impressive names!), voted that David Cassidy Superfan was 14-year-old Sharon Gamble from Ruddington, Nottingham.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVCYw7wUyvk

Sharon was in love with DC from the very beginning of his career, and his happiness was the most important thing to her even if he married someone else. "If David is happy, then I'm happy."

She wrote that some fans had more things like badges, posters, mugs, rosettes, necklaces, calendars, books etc but it didn't mean that they loved David more. Some fans had more money or opportunities to get such things. Sharon had a huge DC collection, but, "I'm sure fans that have less than me, still love David just as much!"

50 years ago Sharon wrote, 'It's love that counts. I admit I haven't got David's autograph and though I haven't seen him in concert yet, I've jolly well tried. On Valentine's Day I sent him a huge card purely to show him that I do love him". And, "David is a person, not just someone to relate to when planning a competition."

One of the judges said, "It's a matter of feeling...of FEELING. You can sense a real fan, and that feeling always comes through."

https://www.davidcassidy.com/fansite/InPrintPages/Mag1974March23_RecordMirror.pdf


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'