Less Than Perfect. Part 2

David Cassidy became a teen idol being 20 years old. At that age we all want to be cool, have fun and freedom, live on the edge, and the most important are friends and what they think about us. Being a part of a group. 

DC had his share of fun, he became famous and rich, girls loved him, he could have many things his peers could only dream about, but he  was also lonely, overworked, had too much responsibility, and last but not least he had to live a double life. There were 2 Davids, the one everybody knew, a perfect dream boy, and that other one, a young man, a normal human being with his own flaws, own imperfections, who had to live undercover. 

He met in secret with girls he really liked, his young fans believed that he was the pargon of all virtues and knew the answer to all questions. Some people believe in it even now, 6 years after he died, and 50 after he left the teen idol business. Quite recently I've read a discussion about a pic of young DC smoking a cigarette. Some fans have been so disappointed. 'How could he?', 'If I had known..' Wow to be disappointed after so many years. Of course smoking cigarettes is not important, it was just one of the things DC did undercover.

https://www.davidcassidy.com/fansite/FansPages/FansTalesMemories.html

Very quickly, being a perfect teen idol became unberable. David started talking about it in interviews. "There's so much that's dishonest being printed about me. These people want to make something of me that I'm not. I have no control over what's printed about me.' (April 1972)

'Everybody wants to make me the Pied Piper and I'm not. Adults say, 'You have all this influence on our youth. What are you doing to save them from this wicked world?' How can I tell anyone what to do? How do I know what is right for them? What is right for me is not necessarily right for you. Sometimes the kids themselves asked. They write and want advice and say, 'I know you'd know how to handle things like this.' How would I? I couldn't handle things like that when I was that age."

https://www.davidcassidy.com/fansite/InPrintPages/News1972April10.html

His fans didn't read such interviews, they bought and read teen magazines. Living a lie and wanting to be treated like any human being became the theme of his first songs. In 'Ricky's Tune' the phrase, 'I can't live a lie' is repeated 3 times. And there is also 'There'll Come A Time'..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsyUNt6G7-Q&t=40s



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'