David Cassidy's Songs Which Turn 50 Years Old In 2024

I've seen a video today, the songs which turn 50 years old in 2024, (not David's) really a strange experience. It was just a pure accident, but once I've started I couldn't stop. 120 world hits in 11 minutes.  

And yes, I remember nearly all of them, amazing really, and I've been surprised that some were actually from 1974, but of course at the time Poland was a communist country and we heard many songs very often a year or two later than the rest of the world. 

From English charts - Sweet, Slade, Suzi Quatro, Mud, The Rubettes, Paper Lace, Queen, Elton John, of course Paul McCartney and Wings (Band On the Run), Bowie, Sparks to name a few. Hits from the USA - Sweet Home Alabama is 50! and You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet! Billy Joel and Stevie Wonder. John Denver. Gloria Gaynor. Barry White.. Of course ABBA, but sorry never been a fan. And also some artists I've written about many times on my blog. America had 2 hits in 1974 and ..Donny Osmond. A lot of great, memorable songs, but I've had no problems to chose my personal favourite. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jtT3OZa2ns

Amazing, and of course David Cassidy saw Elton in concert a few times (and performed with him in New Zealand), and I know that David attended the famous huge all-day Wembley concert on June 21, 1975, with 72 000 in audience. That concert included The Eagles, Elton John, The Beach Boys..and some others. DC was in London to promote his first RCA album..What he was thinking watching his friends performing on this huge stage..

Let's return to 1974. In May, before he arrived to play the last leg of the World Tour, David Cassidy had his last Top 10 hit single in the UK, in the 70s. 'If I Didn't Care/Frozen Noses became number 9 on May 11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiIrTJOLquU

In summer of 1974 his live album became number 9 in the UK, and the single from it 'Please, Please Me', charted at number 16. I've written many times about this outstanding album, 'Cassidy Live!', and this time I want to quote an excerpt from great Amazon's review, published in 2012. 

"He was a fetching singer and dynamic showman. He had a terrific ear for material that fits his voice, that played well on stage and with which he could do something interesting. The band is hot and though the fans scream through the entire show, the music isn't compromised. There is a real chemistry between Cassidy and the musicians, each feeding off the other's energy and both feeding off the crowd. Cassidy's magnetism, artistry and showmanship, and the high gravity of the band's playing come through louder and clearer than anyone might have expected in 1974."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiM62mj5j-g

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'