Singing My Song / Wes Farrell and Diane Hildebrand

'Singin' my song and they're singin' along'.. Oh yes, and people all over the world have been singing along those wonderful Partridge Family's songs for more than 50 years. And this week we have another anniversary. The last TPF's episode was aired on March 23, 1974. 

50 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH1T7_WgqGA

In many interviews from the 70s, especially after he decided to leave the show, DC complained that he'd recorded a lot of songs he didn't like. Of course we know why, he wanted to have career on his own terms, his own repertoire, The Partridge Family's music was related to his teen idol status. When he was 19, 20, 21 he liked other kinds of music. But DC always appreaciated the great musicians he worked with, was always a pro himself and proud of his work. 

David Cassidy about The Partridge Family's music ('Could It Be Forever?', 2007), "Everything we did was about happiness, joy, light; the songs are positive, inspirational. (..) The first album and the third album were the best in my opinion(..) I certainly wasn't given much, if any, chance to express myself artistically (..) I had to do what I was told. I felt they were using me, and I resented that (..) I've also got to acknowledge - as an adult looking back over three decades later - that I have great respect for Farrell and others who created that music. Farrell didn't get a lot of recognition for his accomplishments because bubble gum music was not taken seriously. But I have to say, it was quality pop music. It was innocent but well-crafted" 

DC knew that those pop songs had an enormous value to his fans. "I gave voice to emotions associated with adolescent relationships"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc2LdAbrY4A

And I have to write today about John Sebastian. He turned 80 two days ago. What a career, and he still performs and tours, a co-founder, primary songwriter and the lead singer of Lovin' Spoonful. For a short time in the mid-60s The Lovin' Spoonful was very popular and its music and image influenced many contemporary artists. Their debut single, 'Do You Believe in Magic' was released in 1965. Shaun Cassidy's cover in 1978 was a Top 40 hit. And David recorded it later too.

I love DC's cover of another John Sebastian's hit, 'Daydream'. The song was written in November 1965 during Lovin' Spoonful's tour. One rainy day John Sebastian was depressed because he missed his girl friend, he wanted to feel better and while riding the bus to the next show, he wrote this song in about 30 minutes..

David Cassidy recorded 'Daydream' for his third solo album, in 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ueolFH5nM

The pic, The David Cassidy Official Website.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'