'Such a Long Way Back..'

David Cassidy was only 23 when he recorded 'Can't Go Home Again'. Written with friends, Kim Carnes and Dave Ellingson. It looked very long time ago for him, different life, his life before The Partridge Family. 

David Cassidy, "Kim, Dave and I wrote a couple of songs together (...) 'Can't Go Home Again' was more mine. (..) It was in 1968. I had just moved back to New York from L.A. I was on a bus from Port Authority to West Orange, New Jersey. I remember leaning against the window and looking out and remembering how many times my mom had driven me the same way..I saw a couple of guys I'd known who were now married. It was really odd. I felt so out of place."

Kim Carnes, "Whenever we got together to write with David, there was an ease in it. We'd all become very close friends.(..) The songs came easily. He wanted so much to be proud of his music. (..) 'Can't Go Home Again' came from a conversation we all had about what it would be like to go back to your hometown." (David Cassidy, "Could It Be Forever?", 2007, p.273-274)

The 3rd comment under this video is just amazing, the fan's story of seeing DC singing 'Cant Go Home Again' in Auckland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_PlFC4xhUw

I've checked the set lists from the World Tour 1974, we don't have all of them (what a shame), and it looks like David performed 'Can't Go Home Again' only in New Zealand and Australia. In Japan and Europe he still sang the other song written with Kim and Dave (Preyin' On My Mind), but not 'Can't Go Home Again". Of course it could have been a practical reason for it, I don't know. 

The Manchester concert's list is the most interesting. New songs appeared in Europe, 'Please, Please Me' and 'For What Is Worth', and in Manchester he performed also 'Hold On Me' and Dylan's 'It's All Over Now Baby Blue'. But we don't have the recording of that last song. My FB friend Krysia Jenkins was at this concert and she remembers David singing it and how emotional it was. It must have been so powerful. The last song David Cassidy performed in concert in the 70s.

The Animals' version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4D4Aam9FUg

It was a long way back for David in 1973, and what are we to say, 50 years after his 1974 World Tour.. And today is also the 7th anniversary of the last ever David Cassidy's concert. March 4, 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OsR75vJL2E

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'