A Boy Named David / Hal Shaper, Mike Berry

 

I've learned about this song only recently. Just 2 days ago while looking for some info in my collection of The Official David Cassidy Magazines. 

And in No16,  September 1973, there was a letter from a fan, "When I went to see David at Wembley on March 18th, 4p.m., a record was played over the loudspeaker before the show started. A part of the chorus was 'a boy named David'. And the author of the letter was wondering if the song had been released as a single and how to get it.

There was an answer, that yes, it had been released on Bell, by Debbie and The Dreamboats. And now let's imagine it's March 1973, we are excited teens going for a DC concert at Wembley Arena, and this song is played over the loudspeaker..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFeB2MFEv0M

I've posted this letter and the song on our David Cassidy Legacy Great Britain Group, and got some anwers from fans who remembered 'A Boy Named David' from the 70s. It was played on the radio programme Junior Choice, and Ed Stewart was the DJ there. I've checked the authors (very credible) and this mysterious act, Debbie and The Dreamboats, and in 1972 Debbie&co recorded nearly the same song, but with a little bit different lyrics, called... 'Donny'. Bell Records really didn't waste any opportunity to earn some extra money. (btw Donny wasn't on Bell).

I know one more song from the 70s about David Cassidy. Not only about him, but also about Donny and Michael, who at the time still were teens, while David Cassidy was a 23 year old man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCjnepKPMZg

I've started reading other fans letters published on The Official David Cassidy Magazine. Amazing read. In many interviews David emphasized how he didn't want to be a teen idol and sex symbol, that it was the burden for him, that many fans were truly obsessed by him. And there were those who read it with the shrug of the shoulders. Who didn't want to be a dream boy, a sex symbol. But let's face it, this power DC had..sometimes it was weird and scary. For example those poems written about him and published on The David Cassidy Official Magazine.

"I listen to his every song, I wouldn't miss a thing. He can never do no wrong - To me he is a king." or, "Why does my poor heart hurt so much, Why is it you I want to touch. Why do I hope that one day we'll kiss, Must it be you that's made me like this (..) For he's the one that I'll love forever. And maybe God will bring us together".

And there were many more. And of course I don't laugh, those fans were young and so much in love. This is absolutely amazing that this love was on a global scale, and in the early 70s there were millions of girls all around the world who put David's posters on their bedroom walls, and when they were going to sleep, they kissed his lips, and his eyes were the first things they looked at in the morning. The boys those girls met and dated in their real life, were so uninteresting and common compared to David. 

They were dreaming that somehow, someday a miracle would happen. In Allison Pearson's book, "I Think I Love You", Petra imagines David saving her..In  'Betty and The Werewolves'' song called 'David Cassidy', released in 2010, we can hear the same.

'Los Angeles is a long way from Ruislip, They told me that but I still felt sure I'd make it (..) David Cassidy your magic's worked its trick on me..(..) Photos cover every wall, I count them until sleep I fall. And if I ever fall asleep, I know it's you in dreams I'll meet.."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRFoNwddrxQ


Comments