David Cassidy's Songs Turning 50 in 2024

Truly speaking some months ago I wrote an entry about DC's songs turning 50 in 2024, but I've just seen the video with the songs from 1974, and it was so emotional to watch.

So many old 'friends', if I can call those hits, I still remember every word of some of them. I was 12 and suddenly music became so important, and 1974 brought a lot of memorable pop hits. Those from the UK were especially popular. 'Teenage Rampage' and 'Far Far Away', 'Tiger Feet', 'Benny and the Jets', 'Devil Gate Drive', 'Magic', and 'Killer Queen', 'Band On the Run', and many, many more. 

Hits from the USA weren't played often on our radio, but I remember  'Dark Lady', 'Kung Fu Fighting' and of course 'Sweet Home Alabama'. And the song which wasn't a hit in Europe in 1974, but some time later, in the 80s, became one of my fav songs ever. Funny, but at the time I knew nearly nothing about DC, and had no idea that once he, Gerry, Dewey and Dan were friends. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ3cYhl2uHs

The cover of The Beatles' 'Mr Postman' by Carpenters, was also a big hit in 1974. Lovely, sugary and sweet. I have nothing against this pop classic, but David Cassidy's cover of 'Please Please Me' was really outstanding, raw and so exciting. Sure it was also a hit, but only in the UK. The single 'Please Please Me / CC Rider / Jenny Jenny' was released in the UK, some European countries and Japan.  'Please Please Me' was on the English chart  for 6 weeks, and peaked at # 16 on July 27, 1974.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP72VMkRXak

'Cassidy Live!'. I love what Stephen Porter wrote about this album in 2018. "Cassidy is a brilliant live performer and one or two songs sound better that their studio originals, but more importantly, I have never heard a live album with a crowd reaction like one you can hear on Cassidy Live!. It is phenomenal. (...) Freed from the shackles of being Keith Partridge, he sliced the day. After knocking out a few hits, Cassidy upsets the apple cart with renditions of Delta Lady and Please Please Me.(..) He knocks the screaming audience with a finale covering songs from Buffalo Springfield, Mark Ryder and others, before the big finish of Rock Me Baby' (https://wearecult.rocks/david-cassidy-the-bell-years-1972-1974 )

This wonderful live album peaked in the UK at # 9, 50 years ago. On August 3. Outstanding, different, live versions of David's solo hits, one completely changed Partridge Family's number and some exciting covers of the songs David loved. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNGVKrFL2fg

In 1974 David Cassidy released one more single. 'If I Didn't Care / Frozen Noses'. Again a hit in the UK, # 9 on May 11, 1974. The Ink Spot recording from 1939 became the 10th best selling single of all time with over 19 million copies sold. David's version was of course different. The arrangment retains the retro atmosphere, but the way he sings, it's really timeless. Difficult to believe it was recorded half a century ago.When I hear this song I often imagine David walking alone on the beach and wondering.."If this isn't love that why do I thrill?.."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiIrTJOLquU

'Frozen Noses', the song from B-side, written by David Cassidy, is my personal favourite. Such a gem, full of magic..makes me think..of the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWkgbGip3s4



Comments