Going To West Orange. For David

I've been waiting for this news really impatiently. As soon as I heard that there was a possibility to honour David Cassidy in the town where he grew up, in West Orange, I promised myself I would come for the celebration.

And now we know that the celebration and dedication of The David Cassidy Historical Marker, at Colgate Field, in West Orange, will take place on July 30 and 31, 2025. 

When I read about it two songs started playing in my head - 'Go West' by Pet Shop Boys, and a Partridge Family's number, because it will be long time to wait for it, and a long way to get there..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqSrTNxV6S8

Yes, it's a long way for me. 6,857 km (4,275 miles), total flight time more than 10 hours. And it will be expensive. And of course the most important will be to find courage to go. 

Maybe I was in the US in 2019, but it was a tour, everything was organized for us, transport and accomodation, tickets, everything. During that trip there were 3 days when I left my group and experienced America on my own ; in Las Vegas, San Francisco and Santa Barbara, and you would have laughed if you had heard about my adventures. 

Let's face it, the US is much bigger than an European can imagine, nearly everything exceeded my expectations or even my imagination, and everything was different. So I got lost (a few times), I was asked strange questions anytime I tried to order something to eat, and very often got something different from what I expected and in surprisingly large quantities. But I loved America, every minute there.

Written by David's friend, Dewey Bunnell, and what a nice new video made by a fan, for me it was also unforgettable experience, driving that famous highway and listening to the song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKEV-vttTm4

So we have 12 months to prepare. 'We', I mean David's fans, because it's going to be a challenge for many but also once in a lifetime opportunity to go and visit New York where David was born, lived and worked and when his heart was (so to speak); West Orange where he grew up, where everything started, and last but not least, Saratoga Springs, where he was the happiest, where he is remembered, and it was his wish to stay there forever..

On this day, August 2, in 1972 David Cassidy performed in Saratoga Springs for the first time. We don't have any info, even the smallest pic from this concert at The Performing Arts Center, so let's watch David performing at the end of July 1972 at Pine Knob Music Center, in Detroit.

https://www.davidcassidy.com/fansite/ConcertPages/1972June25video.html

David Cassidy with his Grandfather, Fred Ward, before his concert at Madison Square Gardens, in New York. March 11, 1972.

Comments