"The World Is Full Of Great, Underrated Singers.."

Funny how sometimes a sentence can stuck in my head and I have to write about it to get rid off it. Maybe a song first.

David Cassidy is one of the most underrated singers in the history of popular music. I'm sure about it. Pop and rock, blues. Songs from The Great American Songbook. Anything.  And what a great performer he was. David Cassidy singing 'Ain't No Sunshine' in 2011. It's so raw and sincere, emotional and full of passion. Nothing artificial about him, about his performance, just his fabulous voice, his talent that makes his interpretation at the same time personal and universal. Only the greatest singers can do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I299wq62WN0

I wish I had been so eloquent a few days ago while meeting with a friend. I didn't want it, but at one moment we started talking about DC. My friend knows me very well and she is happy for me meeting new friends because of DC etc. But she also thinks that putting David's pics on my bedroom wall is not very healthy for me (if I can put it this way). She is happily married and I'm  happily.. divorced, she thinks that instead writing about DC I should meet new interesting men in real life. I avoid discussing it of course, but when we met a few days ago, I asked her about New York (she has been there a few times) and I had to tell her about my plans going to NY and about Historical Marker for David Cassidy in West Orange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV6PBsW0qUw

She's been really astonished when I told her that the Marker and The Star in Las Vegas are fans making, that fans gathered money for them. And of course  not only because most fans had a crash on David in the early 70s, but first of all because we know how pigeonholed he was, and so underrated. And she said. 'The world is full of underrated, great singers, that's the way it is.' I answered, 'I wish all had fans like David.' And we started talking about something else, but I've thought about it later. 

I don't want David Cassidy, his music to be known all over the world, and I think that personally he wouldn't have cared. But he always wanted credibility and respect for his work. He wanted to be juded by his music, his work. He told one journalist in 1998, "Man, don't call me a former teen idol. Don't call me a heartthrob. Don't call me a sex symbol. Tell me I'm bad, tell me I'm lousy. But don't call me that"

And I would add,  'Listen to his music. Watch some videos. Give him a chance'

And that's what we want for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsyUNt6G7-Q&t=42s


Comments