'This Morning I Woke Up With This Feeling..'

I haven't planned to write about ITILY again, even that this week, 55 years ago, the single with Tony Romeo's classic, entered the US chart and started its way up, to the top. Number 1 for 3 weeks, sold 5 millions copies, a great hit in America, but not in Europe. 

I never heard this song played on our Polish radio, and truly speaking I first heard ITILY in 1998 while watching BBC doc 'David Cassidy Teenage Dream'. Btw I've watched it recently again, what a great documentary, really wonderful. When I watched it for the first time in 1998, the footage and the music just made me speechless, and so unhappy that I didn't have a chance to experience Cassidymania. To have posters, to see David in concert. The fragment with ITILY started in the fifth minute of this film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Bhe2vK5SY

David didn't perforn ITILY in the 70s, his concert opener was 'I Can Feel Your Heartbeat', he sang other Partridge Family hits, 'I Woke Up In Love This Morning', even 'Doesn't Somebody Want To Be Wanted', and his solo material, but the most important song at his concerts was 'Cherish', not ITILY. Only later when he started playing concerts again after 2000, his first hit became something special for him and his fans. And ITILY was the last song he performed live, in 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUCVCP0MNVY

It's so emotional to watch, the last concert, the last song and David tellin' the audience, 'I know I love you.' We love you too and it'll never change.

So I haven't planned to write about ITILY, but in the morning I've read a short article from 1970, it's on the website but I've just noticed it only today. It's from June 27, 1970, published by Cash Box magazine, and we can read in it about really impresive promotion of the TV series and the first Partridge Family single, and how David was busy, already in the summer of 1970. ITILY was recorded in May, no time was spared, and money for promotion, but the song only hit number 1 a week after the episode 8 called 'But the Memory Lingers On', was first aired on November 11. A star was born and its most famous hit. 

https://www.davidcassidy.com/fansite/InPrintPages/Mag_CashBox_1970June27_pg09.pdf

Lanie Bray, a woman to whom we owe a lot, who everyday finds something new about David for us, articles and pics, and it's really incredible and I have no idea how she does it, anyway Lanie has published today this note. "Iconoclast has acquired the song catalogue, sound recordings, and name, image and likeness rights of American actor and musician David Cassidy" We know this of course, but there is something more, "The acquisition, announced on 8 Oct, includes rights to Cassidy's hit singles such as 'I Think I Love You".  And, "Olivier Chastan, founder and CEO of Iconoclast, notes, 'Cassidy's legacy, art and aesthetic are ripe for reintroduction into the cultural bloodstream."

They are just words and easy to say, and we don't know what are they going to do with David's legacy, but for whatever reason I've remembered this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDb1jujp9VE



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robyn Millan

Love Is All That I Ever Needed. A David Cassidy Biography. Chapter 1

'He Was So Pretty You Couldn't Look Away..'