Blog # 300. David..The Idol.

300. A time to stop and think and maybe look back. I feel a little bit like DC in November 1972, when he said, 'It's going to be rough. I'm prepared for the worst. A lot of people aren't really ready to accept the change'. Yes, it must have been so difficult for David, of course it was obvious that at the time it was nearly the end of his  fame in the USA, but he was a huge star in the UK. He could have been a teen idol much longer, singing the same sweet-bitter love songs. It's very difficult and sometimes impossible to change people's perception.

Jake Austen wrote about David in his book  : 'Cassidy's bitterness is understandable. It's hard for bubble gum music idols to get any respect after their brief moment on top, and it's nearly impossible in the sitcom world to move on after playing an iconic character. So David was doubled-.....' (TV-a-Go-Go : Rock on TV from American Bandstand to American Idol, 2005)

Maybe let's watch and listen to David Cassidy's 'Tomorrow'. I've learned recently that in 1976 that song was on the chart (nr 10) in South Africa. I've had no idea about it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsuhi6UnX-k

I know  that first of all he wanted to be an actor, but why he didn't record more such songs. Sometimes I think it's because he didn't have good or any managment in the 70s, and didn't know himself what he really wanted to do..And also because he could sing everything..

So, I've written 300 blogs (some with a big and very appreciated help from my friends, fellow fans) and truly speaking I've never had problems with writing. I mean there are always so many things to write about DC, but it happened yesterday that for the first time I wasn't sure if I should write something. It was  a review about the DC's 1985 Albert Hall concert. In general  the woman who wrote it was sorry for DC that he hadn't  become a singer he should have been. That in a way he'd stopped in the middle. This is the post.

https://talkingaboutdavid.blogspot.com/2022/02/david-cassidy-live-albert-hall-1985.html

And in the end I published it yesterday only on my FB page, didn't share with any groups..Because I have a feeling that we still (me also) and now after DC died even more, we, fans treat him as an idol.

We don't talk about those bad career choices he made, about some not so great tv performances..everything he did was perfect, we can't see nothing wrong, we write so many times - 'he was underrated', yes of course he was, but why? maybe it was his fault either..just a little bit. Of course this is my blog and I can write what I want, and you know how I care for DC's memory..but he never wanted to be an idol, he never wanted to be treated like one. He didn't want to be that white knight.. It's just a reflection on how we remember David Cassidy, and of course I can be wrong. I'd love to know what you think about it.

One of my favourite DC's live performances..

http://www.davidcassidy.com/fansite/DiscographyPages/Sondheim%20A%20Celebration-Sooner%20Or%20Later.mp3

Comments

  1. Really fanaticism is that, not having a real perception of things... your singer, your favorite soccer team is the best even if they make mistakes and even if they make mistakes in their performances. Frankly, almost everything I know about David is thanks to what I read, because very little has been published in Spain, even in the 1970s. Your blog is a very good source of information for me. The fans are certainly not impartial, of course David was wrong, as we all do in life. There is one of those fans, Barbara Picazo, whom I miss a lot, because I haven't been able to contact her for 5 months, who is very objective and admits that David made bad decisions at some points in his career. If you happen to read me, I send you a hug, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Encarni for your friendship, bc we are friends, even we haven't met in person.It's hard when you start liking someone, a fellow fan, someone who thinks alike and such person disappears and we can't contact. Of course can be a lot of reasons, life is life. And returning to DC, I think the real David was interesting and the real story not PR, but of course every single fan is needed, not so many left..

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'