Home Is Where The Heart Is..Part 2 Hollywood Hills and Encino
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5QTHSw15Ow
When David and Sam (with the dogs) left their home in Laurel Canyon , DC for $1500 a month rented a fully furnished house on Haslam Terrace , high up in the Hollywood Hills, above Sunset Boulevard. Very posh and expensive place to live. (in whole 1969 DC earned $3000). Steve Ross lived with them from time to time. They had a swimming pool and a great view..But fans found out the new DC's home very quickly. Some fans slept outside the gate at night ,and security became an issue . David Cassidy ; 'There were women showing up, unannounced, uninvited, at all hours. You may think this is every male's fantasy come true. And I'm not going to claim I turned down every opportunity..(..) - but I wanted to mantain some sense of control over my personal space.' DC : Could It Be Forever?, 2007) Sometimes when David returned home , a party was going on, a lot of strangers invited by Sam and Steve ,girls in the pool waiting for David, it was a total chaos...All I Wanna Do...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL1rc2qwFBw
David again started to look for a new house which would give more privacy. The boys had to move once more. This time to White Oak Avenue in Encino (which means helm oak) , a suburb of LA. It was an old stone Spanish-style ranch house, with a guest house behind it (Sam lived there), from outside only a driveway was seen .
David Cassidy ;"I loved the Encino house. Rustic, really beautiful, old hardwood floors (..) The area was still very rural back then.' . There was a garden, orange trees, and David liked doing himself a lot of things at home when he had time. In summer of 1973 , a journalist Barbara Lewis, who at last managed to arrange an interview with DC, was very surprised 'He (DC) was wearing cutoff jeans and appologized for his appearance 'I've been painting' he said as I stared around at the walls to observe his works of arts.' No' he apologized again ' I've been painting the woodwork and trying to get the house in shape' (August17, 1973) From that interview we can also learn that DC at that time had 4 cats and several dogs..
Of course, fans also discovered Encino house and David had to disconnect the buzzer. But he was happy there, and a lot of pics of DC was taken in that house and outside of it , by Henry Diltz, Annie Leibovitz and Barry Schultz, this is a link to the page where you can see those photographs taken in Encino in 1976.
https://www.barryschultzphotography.com/gallery/david-cassidy/
David also experienced very difficult times in Encino. After the retirement in May 1974, he had a nervous breakdown ,and literally locked himself in his room drinking alone..He partied very hard..Sam left him..David couldn't sleep and very often played music with his friends all night long , also a party was started on Saturday , December 11th , 1976.
" Around five in the morning , after we'd stopped playing. I still felt too wired to call it a night. We had the radio on in the background...' How horrible it was to find out from the radio that your own father had died in a fire..
I don't know when David Cassidy sold that house , but when in April 1977 he married Kay Lenz they lived somewhere else.
'I thought I'd found a home..'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYpNhu9GmUM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/scriptingnews/4049422487

Comments
Post a Comment