Hi Heel Sneakers / Tommy Tucker (Robert Higginbotham)


I've recently talked with my very close English friend, B. about those amazing covers DC's recorded during his career. And my friend was a huge David's fan in the 70s, but now DC is a history for her and she doesn't read my blog. But sometimes she asks me how my writing is going. And she's told me that DC's covers are nothing extraordinary, that everybody do covers, people just forgetting that such and such a song was written and recorded in the past. A new clever arrangment and a new hit is born. Recycling. Of everything. Don't be so naive, Weronika.

 Yes, of course that people forgetting, I myself was so astonished some years ago when I learned that  'I Fought the Law', one of my fav The Clash' songs, was a cover , or that 'Girls Just Want To Have Fun' was written from a man's point of view, and Cyndi Lauper's hit was a cover too. And David didn't do more cuts than others did, and quite a lot of songs were written just for him. Like Tony Romeo's I Am a Clown..btw there's just an awul German cover of it from 1973 called 'Ich Bin Ein Clown..I will not post a link to it, no way.

 Instead let's listen to the song which David recorded as the second . The original was released in 1971, David's version in early 1972. Later it was covered by many different singers..What can I say, for me the David's is the best, sincere and very emotional, and sometimes I have tears in my eyes listening to this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-SmpLM-ss8&t=104s

My First Night Alone Without You by David Cassidy. It should have been in every catalog of the best 70s' songs. Something every music fan knows..

I've written  many times that David Cassidy was a great interpreter, he just didn't sing songs, he always was looking for the meaning of a song and interpreted them through his own experiences. That's why his songs are  very personal, the originals and covers alike. Hi Heel Sneakers, that was  fun reading about this song. It is a blues , first recorded by the author himself in 1964, and it was a hit in the USA  and in Europe. Covered by many of course, Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Stevie Wonder, Rolling Stones to name a few. I like two covers of that song, not such known, but those artists made new songs from the original..First - Jose Feliciano and some fashion from the early 70s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmXln-jLSF0

And of course, David's version from his 'David Cassidy''s album. Genuine, pure rock, edgy and sexy, brilliantly played and even better sung, with a sample of I Think I Love You in the middle.. Great fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKqaeyX5Aeg





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'