Dreams Are Nuthin' More Than Wishes, October 1973. Part 1
He said :' It's a piece of me - my whole life is in that album and all the dreams I've ever had. If people don't like it, they don't like me.'
I've written about that album many times. The first true DC solo album, he chose a producer, Rick Jarrard, the songs, he was the boss. A lot of people became David's fans after listening to that record, to his first concept album. On October 13th 1973 a single called Daydreamer/Puppy Song became #1 in the UK (for 3 weeks). And on 24th November 'Dreams Are Nuthin' More Than Wishes' peaked at number 1 there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0mrYzW6iRM
David Cassidy was right, for many fans this is his number 1 album, we love David and we believe in every word he sings on this record. Of course not everybody likes it. When in 2020 'David Cassidy The Bell Years 1972-1974', 50- track box was released on Cherry Red, some reviews appeared..I've read in one of them that 'Bali Ha'i' and 'Fever' were...awful. But it was always like that with David Cassidy, people loved him or hated him, believed him or not..
I've already written about most of the songs from that album, I think only 2 left. So today 'Hold On Me'
Hold On Me, this is such an amazing song and DC's performance..his fabulous voice and the way he sings it..like he is singing to my ear, just for me, about his broken heart and sorrow..that love could be so difficult. This song doesn't need any David Cassidy's pics, just listen to him..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys9cUS57nsA
The song was written by Michael H. McDonald, at the time unknown 21 old musician, later very known artist, recipient of 5 Grammy Awards, but..I've found about his collaboration with DC only on www.discogs.com, nowhere else, and he shouldn't be ashamed about writing for a teen idol, it's a very good song, and besides a lot of very known musicians played for DC on 'Dreams' , he was in a very good company of Michael Omartian and Ron Tutt ( worked with Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison, the Carpenters, Neil Diamond), Emory Gordy Jr. , Al Casey or legendary Larry Knechtel to name a few.
David wrote about Michael H. McDonald :' Rick (Jarrard) brought in a young guy named Micheal H. McDonald (..) He came over to my house with Rick, sat down at the piano and played a little bit of 'Hold On', and I said - 'I love that. That's just a beautiful, beautiful melody'. Michael was very shy and extremely talented. When I first met Michael, he was living over a garage and I think I was a first person to record one of his songs. Michael played on every track on my 'Dreams Are Nuthin' More Than Wishes Album' (David Cassidy : Could It Be Forever?, 2007)
Once more, this time Sharon Angulot's video..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twJMhqHQWho&t=95s
Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=8395459

Comments
Post a Comment