Rebel, Rebel /David Bowie

It seems that Shaun Cassidy is a little bit like a 'hot potato' for me. Some discussion still going on about what I've written, who was more popular David or Shaun..But only today I've found that 'Da Doo Ron Ron' is on the Billboard chart called "Greatest Of All Time Songs Of The Summer', on August 24 peak position -307 after so many years. But enough of this. 

I'm a DC fan but I also appreciate what his younger brother has done and I write about facts. Of course I'd love to see David Cassidy popular and known all over the world. It makes me sad that he is not regarded as one of the best singers ever.

Shaun  wanted to change his image, like before him David had tried. In September 1980 his last album was released, called 'Wasp'.  Produced by Todd Rundgren with the group Utopia as the backing band. The album has a 'new wave' feel. This is not my kind of music,  I can only say that the covers Shaun did were very ambitious - Pete Townshend, Ian Hunter, The Talking Heads, The Animals. But the album didn't make it for Billboard charts. And it was the end of Shaun Cassidy's recording career.


He worked as an actor, quite a lot, known tv series - 'Breaking Away' (1980-1981), he was regular on 'General Hospital' , he appeared in some tv movies. In one of the episodes of General Hospital he had an opportunity to sing.


He performed quite a lot at the theatre, in the USA and Canada, and in 1990 on West End in London. With Jerry Hall in 'Bus Stop'. But he already thought about doing something else, about writing and producing. So when David called him in 1993, Shaun at first said 'NO'.

Shaun :'Thanks, but no thanks. I'm doing something else now.'
David :'Well, just come and see the show.'
Shaun:'David, I really don't want to do it.'
David:'Just come and see the show'
Shaun:'When do you want me to come?'
David;'Next week;
Shaun:'I can't, I have a date.'
(David Cassidy:'Could It Be Forever?', 2007)

But he went to New York and the rest is history. The show's title..'Blood Brothers' of course..

album cover 'Wasp' by Shaun Cassidy, copyrights WarnerBrothers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robyn Millan

Labor Of Love / David Cassidy, Sue Shifrin and Michael Dan Ehmig

Love Is All That I Ever Needed. A David Cassidy Biography. Chapter 1