Someone / Alan Tarney, David Cassidy, Sally Boyden







This is something unusual for me to write, but I'm not a fan of this song. You simply can't like everything, and I don't think I will change my mind about 'Someone'. David's voice is great of course, but.. So why writing about it? There are some reasons, the most important is that DC performed that song on his  UK tour, and I haven't finished writing about his concerts in 1985  yet. I'm going to listen to it once more, but can  anyone explain me the idea behind those pink balloons..? Balloons more attractive than DC..???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo43C9BdRGQ

Today's post was supposed to look different. I wanted to publish my friend's memories, She saw DC in concert 4 times  in 1985, she also met him in person, and even that  it was  just for a few minutes, it is a great story. But only  this morning when she's read the blog ready to publish, she's said, 'No', and I want to say that I respect her decision and I understand it. Like many fans, I've shared  my memories for Louise Poynton's book 'Cherish', and I'm grateful that I can read fans' memories, people who saw DC in concert or met him. But we should respect someone's privacy and never publish anything without asking first.

'She Knows All About Boys', another song performed by DC during the tour. The song was quite popular in Europe. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dnKlFOdpzM

It was a surprise for me that there were no supporting acts before his concerts in 1985. Or maybe it wasn't so unusal in the 80s, I have no idea. Anyway David Cassidy each night gave a long (2 hours) and very demanding physically and emotionally performance. 

We have some set lists. For example on October 19, 1985, at Apollo Theatre in Oxford, DC played 20 songs and 3 encores! That's a lot. And what did he sing? There were 10 songs on his 'Romance' album, and he performed 8 of them . He didn't sing only 'Heart Of Emotions' (I can understand why) and one of my fav DC's songs from that album - The Letter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxhRzr7_O78

'Romance' album didn't sound like anything David recorded before. It was very '80s record, with a lot of electronics, machine drum patterns, but even that the arrangements were similar, the songs had different tempo and of course the most shining 'instrument' on it was David's fabulous voice. DC did everything to promote his new material, it's a shame that not for the first and the last time in his career he didn't have any support from a record company.

Apart from new songs he also performed old hits from the 70s, his own and TPF's (4).. But he didn't sing  a single song from his 2 last RCA's albums. He didn't sing anything from the records he co-produced, and co-wrote, he wrote himself most of the material. From the album for which he chose every single song and was so proud of, 'Dreams Are Nuthin' More Than Wishes', only his great hit, 'Daydreamer'. No 'On Fire', "Junked Heart Blues' or 'Can't Go Home Again'..or 'Sing Me' were played live in 1985. Why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yt-XSWeZlo







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robyn Millan

Labor Of Love / David Cassidy, Sue Shifrin and Michael Dan Ehmig

Love Is All That I Ever Needed. A David Cassidy Biography. Chapter 1