1972..

 

It was something I got for my Google alerts a few days ago. Just a tweet - the most memorable songs of 1972. 'American Pie', 'Alone Again (Naturally)', Starman', 'Rocket Man', and..'Could It Be Forever'. I smiled and thought to myself ;'Very nice of course, and obviously written by someone from the UK'. Because now it's difficult to imagine, but 50 years ago young people all over the world didn't listen to the same music, and a hit in the USA or in Western Europe didn't have to be a hit in Poland, for example, or even especially in Poland, in the 70s a country behind the Iron Curtain. It still happens that my English friends talk about songs that I had no idea about in the 70s..Like about that one..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI66hcu9fIs

And actually David Bowie while going by train from Moscow to West Berlin in 1977 (can you believe it?)  got out off the train in Warsaw ( there was a longer stop and he obviously had some documents which let him do such a thing)  and went on foot about 2 km to the very known square, he even bought some Polish records there at the local shop..and nobody recognized him..He even later wrote a song called Warsaw. It's such an absolutely amazing story..To commemorate this event some years ago a mural was painted on one of the block of flats in Warsaw. And to think that in 1977 I was at that square and that music shop nearly every day.It was a popular meeting place. In the second part of the 70s we had more freedom, more music was played on our radio, and at that time I knew and loved one David Bowie's song, co-wrote with John Lennon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tnRWcEg6i8

Of course in Europe the most popular was English music. And when I've checked today a list of top UK singles from 1972 I've had 2 very nice surprises. 1. I remembered nearly 80% of the songs , and the second surprise was even bigger. Just look for yourself..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UK_top-ten_singles_in_1972

Yes, David Cassidy and  his 3 entries in 1972 (including 'Breaking Up Is Hard To Do'), and also a short note and his pic. It's made my day. So let's watch great Sharon's video and listen to 'Could It Be Forever', one of the most memorable songs of 1972.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dc-TiIzaGY


Felipe Tofani from Berlin, Germany, CC BY-SA 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robyn Millan

Labor Of Love / David Cassidy, Sue Shifrin and Michael Dan Ehmig

Love Is All That I Ever Needed. A David Cassidy Biography. Chapter 1