The Strike - Out King

Of course, the strike-out king was Danny, not Keith and his banjo..but David looked so.. beautiful, and we need his gorgeous smile more than ever.

Yesterday I wrote the next TPF's episode for the website. S4, Ep.4, first aired on October 6, 1973. I've been a little bit afraid writing that synopsis because I know nothing about baseball, it's not popular here, never was. In the 70s we had a lot of PE at school, we played basketball (I wasn't bad), handball (I hated it), and volleyball (I avoided it). Volleyball is very popular in Poland, our men team is a current World Champion. And in winters there were a lot of ice rinks, and every Pole my age can skate (or could)..But we didn't play baseball, or football (American football). So please don't laugh if I'll write somethig stupid, but I want to write about David Cassidy and his..sport life.

We know that he played baseball, but Jack Cassidy never was at his any Little League games. DC : 'He promised but never showed up'. David liked playing basketball too ..but (as he wrote himself) when he started being interested in girls..'once I started, I pretty much lost whatever interest I'd had in playing basketball and baseball'...

And he loved surfing ..Sam Hyman told us a lot about David's school years in that wonderful interview.

http://www.davidcassidy.com/fansite/InPrintPages/2012%20Sam%20Hyman%20interview.pdf

We have also  a lot of pics from the 70s with David Cassidy playing  table tennis ( his manager, Ruth Aarons was a former table tennis World Champion), swimming, diving, water-skiing and skiing, and of course he was riding, first ponies, and took part in races. And  he was always New York Yankees' fan.

David Cassidy : 'I'd watch the Yankees with my grandfather He took me to Yankee Stadium for the first time when I was seven. He didn't drive, so we had to take a bus and a train. And he was getting on in years. It was one of the biggest thrills in my life..(..) I'm still a sports enthusiast, particulary baseball, and have a good collection of 1961 Yankees memorabilia'. (David Cassidy : Could It Be Forever?, 2007)

So we can imagine what it meant for David to sing at important sporting events. And on October 21st, 2003 David sang 'God Bless America' during the 7th inning stretch of Game 3 of the 003 World Series (whatever it means) in Miami. It was a great honour for him as an American patriot and a huge sports fan. And I think it was a very unique experience for David. 

Can you imagine singing 'God Bless America' acapella, standing alone in the middle of a huge stadium?? In the 70s he performed for thousands but  he was much younger and the girls were screaming..This time he could only count on his voice, people didn't scream but were listening to him attentively or singing with him. David sang beautifully and with a great emotion..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkI5DmX0zOo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robyn Millan

Love Is All That I Ever Needed. A David Cassidy Biography. Chapter 1

Labor Of Love / David Cassidy, Sue Shifrin and Michael Dan Ehmig