I Woke Up In Love This Morning / Irwin Levine and L.Russell Brown

The hit single from this outstanding, great album, The Partridge Family Sound Magazine, released in August 1971, 52 years ago.

Irwin Jessie Levine (1938-1997), and Lawrence Russell Brown, who is 83 now, wrote  more songs for the show,  but it was "I Woke Up In Love This Morning' which was the most successful of them. 

Number 13 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 in September, number 4 in Canada and 5 in Australia. 

And just today I've found (and read with great pleasure), the CashBox' issue from July 31, 1971. Except 'normal' charts being published there, there was also the chart called 'CashBoxRadio Active', and 'I Woke Up In Love This Morning' achieved there number 7. We can also read in 'cashbox/singles reviews' that, "Teen idol David Cassidy lead the Partridge Family towards another gold record with this splendidly commercial outing. Single was taken from Family's soon to be released album". This is the link to that very interesting magazine.

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/70s/1971/Cash-Box-1971-07-31.pdf

So it's time for the video. I've chosen this one because it's a complete recording, it has impressive number of views and last but not least interesting comments. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRlUcMrtiT0

Great song, that energy and emotions, excitement, and the David's voice, Hal Blaine's drums. With Dennis Budimir, Louie Shelton, Max Bennett, Mike Melvoin, Larry Knechtel. And Bahler brothers, Jackie Ward and Ron Hicklin. 

There are quite a lot of covers, other versions of 'I Woke Up In Love This Morning'. David Cassidy himself recorded a new one for his 1998 album 'Old Trick New Dog'. He said : 'It's the same guy singing, but from a different place." (May 1998, Chicago Tribune
Quite different. The new version was fresh and contemporary, more about sex than love (if I can put it this way)


DC later recorded that song twice, and from other artists' versions I think the Weezer's is the best and the most popular, but I've recently discovered this one and it's very nice, remainds me of our high school band in the late 70s..


The pic, The David Cassidy Official Website

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'