Looking For David Cassidy in London

 

Or 'It's A Long Way To Heaven'. Written by Mark James.

I always listen to David's music when flying somewhere, it was the same on the last Thursday morning, on my way to London. The first song, chosen at random..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqSrTNxV6S8

And it's stuck with me for 5 days. Playing in my head while I was standing in line to be allowed to the UK at the Luton Airport, on the bus to Cardiff, and I wasn't surprised at all that I found it at the Cardiff Market on Saturday morning. The Partridge Family 'Crossword Puzzle' album. And now I'm listening to it at home and thinking about my last trip to London. Walking in David Cassidy's footsteps. Somehow it was different this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vefm7PiX60Y

Another great song from 'Crossword Puzzle', the album was released 50 years ago, in March 1973, the final Partridge Family record to make the album chart, only number 167 on Billboard 200. It was there just for 5 weeks. Bell Records chose not to release a single from it. 

1973 was the year of significant changes in pop music, but The Partridge Family's music stayed the same. The pop song style of Wes Farrell, Terry Cashman and Tommy West had grown stale. Meanwhile David Cassidy recorded in summer of 1973 new, exciting third solo album, produced by Rick Jarrard. So different from the songs he had to sing on 'Crossword Puzzle'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwbPy6r5wTk

So what was different this time? Somehow David Cassidy has gone forever, and I haven't felt his presence as it used to be when I was in London in recent years. Few fans visited St Giles this time..A large group went to Beaulieu, I know, but when I visited the church for the second time on Thursday..it was only me and one DC's pic on the table. And such silence. Time doesn't stand still and London has changed too. My hotel was near Paddington Station and I used new Elizabeth Line a few times while in London. The world has changed so much since DC died. 

On the Phoenix Theatre's facade there was a sign, 'Time For A New Story'..The David Cassidy Story is history. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_PlFC4xhUw&t=40s


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kay Lenz, an Actress

They Said I Changed A Lot..

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'