I'm Still Standing / Elton John and Bernie Taupin

It was a great hit in 1983. The song and of course the video. Also in Poland, still a communist country in the 80s. I was a huge Elton's fan in the early and mid 70s, but not later. 

I didn't like 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart', and I coudn't forgive Elton John playing concerts in the Soviet Union in 1979. I was young and radical. I've rediscovered Elton many years later when I became a die hard DC fan.

And today, first time after a long time because of illness, I've been working in my garden feeling really happy and fit, and at one moment this song has just started playing in my head. David Cassidy singing 'I'm Still Standing' in London, in 1985. Originally it was a song about saying goodbye to a girlfriend. I'm ok and no worries. But for Elton John and especially for David it was about starting again and surviving. About not giving up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hefeE3zAJ6Q

What a great video made by Sharon Angulot. There are some comments that DC's live version is more exciting than the original recording..I love it. Like always he made a known hit his own song.

Elton John and David Cassidy were friends in the 70s, we all know those photographs, not only from New Zealand, they met each time DC was in the UK, in 1973 and in 1975, David attended Elton's concert, and even wanted to record Elton's song, "I'm Going To Be A Teenage Idol' for his first RCA album. It would have been sensational, I'm sure. That's the Elton I loved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXhv4N2oPFI

Of course they were in contact in 1984 and 1985 when DC was spending more time in the UK and Europe than in America. 

I think it's an interesting question why David Cassidy didn't take part in Live Aid 1985 ?  

There are pics of DC in conversation with Bob Geldof or Paul Young. He knew all of them and they all knew and respected him. Sting could performed with an American, Branford Marsalis, so why DC couldn't appear on stage. Elton performed 'Don't Let The Sun Go On Me' with Wham! that day..It could have made such a difference. 

One more Sharon Angulot's great video. Wow! It's sensational. I love it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k4_7qC5X4k


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robyn Millan

'He Was So Pretty You Couldn't Look Away..'

We Gotta Get Out Of This Place / Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil