'See The Funny Little Clown..' Remembering Tony Romeo

Tony Romeo died on this day, in 1995. He was 56. Probably a heart attack, he was survived by his mother and his brother. 

In the 60s and the 70s he recorded several his songs himself, but was much better songwriter than a singer. He was one of those rare songwriters capable of writing both music and lyrics.

Over 150 his songs were recorded, by Diana Trask, Brotherhood of Man, Al Martino, The Cowsills, Lou Christie, The Seekers, The Everly Brothers, to name a few. His songs were used in films, 'Rain Man' and 'Gaby: A True Story'. He created commercial jingles, worked as a record producer..

In David Cassidy he found the perfect interpretator of his fabulous songs. They became friends, there was a mutual understanding and admiration. When they met, DC was 20, Tony Romeo 32.

https://www.davidcassidy.com/fansite/TvFilmPages/PebbleMillShow.html

The Partridge Family was a great show, and it's still appreciated not only for nostalgia value, but because it had great acting and interesting scripts, watching it still make people happy. Its legacy is also David Cassidy's fame, his amazing career as a global teen idol, fabulous pop singer and charismatic performer. The songs he was singing as Keith Partridge. Those written by Tony Romeo are pop classics. Why he is not in The Songwriters Hall Of Fame..Yes, of course we know, it was just bubblegum music, songs for kids..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqBc549rcF4

Tony Romeo wrote 9 platinum records. 16 songs for The Partridge Family and 5 for David Cassidy's solo albums. We know the lyrics of those songs by heart.

'When the chains around me no longer ground me...and all at once I met you and you stop me in my tracks...I may stumble I may fall...she's crushing through my mind like waves upon the shore...since you've been away...I only called to let you know...rock me to sleep in your arms...but be certain not to stray he will steal your heart away...I don't know how to deal it...walked her to the station and kissed away the tears...may all your days be happy with joy that never ends..Being together is my kind of fun..I still would try to make you mine...We reached the top of the world together...I'm sleeping and right in the middle of a good dream..'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r9UtIhOI8M

Tony Romeo. December 25, 1938 - June 23, 1995.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

They Said I Changed A Lot..

Kay Lenz, an Actress

'I Just Hated Being In The Show..'